What's special?

Friday, November 20, 2020

REPUBLIC OF COMOROS

         REPUBLIC OF COMOROS🇰🇲

The Republic of Comoros are a collectivity of three islands of the coast of Mozambique. A postcard from this small island nation in Africa has been eluding me a time with unfortunate events taking place. I never thought I would possibly reveive a podtcard from this beautiful nation. It was a real joy and that too to receive from this country and that too during COVID -19 times.

I was really excited to see the card when it arrived as it was postmarked 19-03-2020 at Moroni, the capital city of the Republic of Comoros. That means it took 9 months to arrive. It turned out to be a card from FW series.

FW COMOROS

Postmarked in Moroni on 19/03/2020


Learning about this country I learned that Grande Comore is the biggest of the 3 islands. The name 'Comoros' is from the Arabic word 'qamar' which means 'moon' which is evident on the flag of the country. The country has a majority Muslim population.

The Comoros is rich in its flora and fauna but the economy is poor. Ylang ylang ( a perfume tree) is endemic to the islands. Lobster with vanilla sauce is the nation dish. Shikomoro refers to the Comorian language which is a combination of Arabic and Swahili. Really grateful to the friend who sent me this card.


No comments:

Post a Comment

CAMEROON

REPUBLIC OF CAMEROON Cameroon is a name of a country which has fascinated me right when I was a kid. I have always been a fan of Gerald Durr...